If a cake is domed and uneven, it is challenging to make it attractive. Any baked cake tastes good, no doubt in that; but it may not look professional if it is not in the proper shape. Most of us eat the cake with eyes first and then taste it. So, it is essential to make it look good. And when you are a baker, cake decorator, or cake lover, it is necessary for you to level the cake before frosting.
If we talk about the scenarios of a few years back, people used to level the cake with the knife. Even today, many people use knives to serve the purpose. But, using it requires a lot of patience and efforts as it may break the whole cake in the blink of an eye. Now, there is a fantastic alternative to level the cake, which is known as professional cake leveler. It is fast, accurate, and easy to use as it just takes a couple of minutes to serve the purpose.
In this article, you will find out some of the best options of cake levelers available in the market, which can help you to slice or level your delicious cake to give it an attractive look.
Best Cake Leveler
1. Mrs. Anderson 2-Wire Leveler
The company offers a cake leveler with two wires attached to it. It helps in cutting the pieces into even layers. Both the wires are adjustable and able to create professional looking layer cakes at home.
Features and Specifications of Mrs. Anderson Leveler
- The handle is made from stainless steel, and it provides proper gripping. The baker just need to pull the wires through the cake to slice it.
- The slicing wires are sturdy and long-lasting. They are also dishwasher safe.
- The manufacturer ensures that this product can make equal cake-to-filling distribution and comes up with perfect layers.
This leveler is specially designed to work with batter-based cakes up to the width of 12 inches. It is easy to use and works great for home bakers and cake decorators.
2. Wilton Decorate Smart Cake Leveler
Wilton has been considered as the best cake leveler amongst all. It provides the advantage of 10 adjustable heights which can help the baker to slice the cake as per the decoration needs.
Features and Specifications of 415-0165 Wilton Small Cake Leveler
- Wilton leveler comes with the numbered guide on either side, which is useful in adjusting the wire settings for the cutting.
- The wire design is like a serrated knife, and it is wavy, which allows cleaner cuts. There are purple adjustments which make moving the wire easy.
- The holder is made from the high-quality steel and comes with a finger grip made from plastic material for the perfect hold.
The feet of leveler is made from the flat and hard plastic feet to provide stability and smooth sliding across the cake. The leveler can slice a 10-inch wide cake in one go. Don’t get any second thoughts and go for this one!
3. Knights Bridge Global Cake Leveler
Knights Bridge Global cake leveler is one of the simplest and smartest cake levers. It also ensures an equal cake-to-filling distribution, which is very useful for professional presentations.
Specifications and Features of Knights Cake Leveler
- If you have a wide cake, then this leveler is the best as it can cut 16 inches of cake all by itself within a minute or two.
- Its serrated blades can divide the cake into even layers and provide fantastic look. It also helps in leveling the top of the cake for the perfect decorations.
- Even when the baked cake’s height is around 4.5 inches, this leveler can be useful in slicing it with ⅛ inch intervals.
Knights Bridge Global cake leveler is easy to use. Adjust the wires to the same height on each side, hold tight from the top, and slide it the carefully. This product is excellent for new bakers and cake decorators.
4. Pro kitchen Adjustable Small Cake Leveler
If you are obsessed with the perfect cake decorations, you must not compromise the leveling procedure. Pro kitchen cake leveler works perfect on the cake and slices them smoothly with its twisted wires. It is indeed a great time saver.
Features and Specifications
- The wires are wavy and designed like a serrated knife to offer the faster and cleaner cuts. Such designs also reduce the debris falling.
- The product contains accurate scale. The wires are adjustable according to the need. Anyone can change the wire setting and level layers at the same height.
- It does not skid if you don’t want to as the feet are made from the hard, premium quality plastic. The manufacturer also provides 100% guarantee on the product.
Both the top and the bottom grips provide extra stability and ease of use. The anti-skid design is highly safe if compared to other products. This leveler can cut any cakes having 10 inches of width and 2.5 inches in height.
5. Lukzer 1 Pc Adjustable Bread Cake Slicer Cutter Leveler
When we talk about professional cake levelers, we can’t forget to mention Lukzer Leveller. The body is made from stainless steel, and the wires of this levelers are robust and durable.
Features and Specifications of Lukzer Cake Leveler
- It comes with the numbered guide which can help the baker in the adjustment of wires. Thus, the thickness can be adjusted to keep the cake perfectly layered.
- The grip of the leveler provides extra stability at its feet, and the non-slip handle fits comfortably in your hand, which makes leveling even easier.
If you are a cake decorator, professional baker, or making cakes is just a part of your hobby, Lukzer cake leveler is perfect for you. It is dishwasher safe and thus, super easy to clean. It is widely used because of its outstanding outputs.
6. Fnoko Cake Decorating Kit
There are many things a person needs when it comes to baking a cake. It’s a fun task of course but requires accuracy and perfection. Fnoko provides a cake decorating kit including professional cake leveler, aluminum alloy revolving cake turntable, cake stand, icing smoother, etc. for all the new learners out there.
Specifications and Features Fnoko Cake Decorating Kit
- The supplies are made from heavy-duty aluminum alloy, which provides superb stability on countertops and helps in keeping the cake stand still so that you can decorate the cake like a Pro.
- The stand’s surface is non-slippery and feet contains rubber for the safety purpose. You can use it even for muffins, cupcakes, and cookies to give all of them a professional touch.
- This cake decorating kit also comes with the durable storage case to keep the package protected in separate chambers. So you can also protect all your tools for a more extended period to use them on different occasions or festivals.
This kit works great as a thoughtful gift. It comes in a beautiful craft box so you can give it directly to your loved ones for home use or the cake store. Each supply is made of 304 stainless steel, which makes it even more non-toxic. Don’t wait and order today!
7. ZhenChengGao Cake Decorating All-in-one Kit
As the name suggests, this kit is all-in-one! It includes cake turntable, cake leveler, two spatula Icings, a smoother, pastry bag, 24 piping nozzles, cutter, and a flower lifter. The pastry bag is made from reusable silicone, and icing tips are made from stainless steel.
Features and specifications of ZhenChengGao Cake Decorating Kit
- All the tips are made of the highest quality and attain standards of 100% food grade and non-toxic stainless steel. Even the silicone pastry bags FDA and LFGB approved. Tips and couplers are durable, rustless, and tasteless.
- It contains the best cake leveler with the zigzag wire design, which works as a serrated knife. It provides amazingly cleaner cuts and does not pull when cutting the sides of the cake.
- Two angled icing spatula icing, Cake pens, cutter, and cake smoother work best when it comes to creativity and helps you to create all types of patterns on cakes or cupcakes.
Avoid buying cheaper products for the sake of the safety of cake/pastry lovers and children. Go for this kit because as compared to other products, it is good to touch feeling. Isn’t it great at such a reasonable price? Just because of all these advantages, professionals recommend ZhenChengGao.
Points to Keep In Mind While Cake Leveling
- Don’t try to cut the warm or hot cake. Allow the cake to cool down completely. Warm or hot cake may crumble while slicing.
- After adjusting cutting wires to the desired height, make sure that they are level and locked in place.
- Place the cake on a flat level surface. For the precise results and even layers, keep the cake leveler feet firmly on the surface, or use cake stands.
- If you want to level up the uneven cake tops, merely adjust bottom cutting wire to the lowest edge at the top of the cake and pull the cutter across.
- For torting the multiple layers like a professional, keep the top layer leveled.
- For best use, put the buttercream in the pastry bag. It should not be too soft. Keep in in the room temperature.
- If you are using the whole kit, clean all the supplies with the hot water.
So, that’s all for the best cake leveler reviews of 2018. Make a cake like a pro buying one of these products and make your cake look beautiful and taste wonderful like a professional cake baker. Keep trying, keep experimenting, and keep creating magic. For more machine info, stay tuned!
Cake Decorating Tips for Beginners
1. Always have your tools around.
As you are a beginner, it will be easy and super convenient to have a rotating cake turntable and a scraper or cake smoother. Of course, there are many other substitutes that you can find inside your kitchen, but these tools will make your cake decorating task significantly more accessible.
2. Never start decorating your cake without leveling it.
It is imperative to have flat layers on the top. If the cake is not flat, then it may lean or wobble during the decorating process. To level your cake, you should have the best cake leveler or a serrated knife. If you are using some other blades, you should make sure that it is longer than the diameter of your cake.
3. Apply a crumb coat and then the final coat.
If you want to seal or suspend any loopholes and crumbs, you must follow this step. Don’t speed up the process. Have patience and apply a light coat of frosting before the final one to make the cake decoration process easy. After applying the crumb coat, chill the cake for half an hour and do the finishing coat.
4. Make a cone and fill it with your favorite jams and jellies.
Initially, when you want to try the decorations, you can try with lemon curd or some sweet fruity filling. You can also make a thick paste of your favorite chocolate and decorate your cake just by putting some random lines on it. Keep the outer appearance neat.
5. Allow gems, chocolate chips, or crunchies to the rescue.
If you still want to give a modern look to your cake, you can put some chocolate chips or crunchies on the cake. Not only that, but you can also buy a few packets of gems and place it cleanly on the cake to make it look more delicious and colorful.
Once you learn the basics, you can try other ideas of decoration. You can do trial and errors to show your creativity. You can find your own favorite designs and decorations that can become your signature move. So, keep it up and never afraid to try variations. Enjoy!